Friday, September 2, 2011

Introduction


Introduction

With this blog I aim for something ambitious. To chart the technological, economic, and artistic evolution of the video game industry over the coming decade. Your first question might be who the heck am I and why would I be qualified to give an insightful opinion on this?

In answer, I've covered more college classes switching between majors than most people who earn a bachelors degree have ever taken. But that honestly doesn't matter, hundreds of thousands have done similar and might not be considered qualified. The real answer is simply that I'm interested in this very question and in every aspect pertaining too it.

I've spent enough time pouring over interviews and articles on every aspect of game development, technology, and business to have a fair idea of what each area entails. Further this is why I probably won't be providing references to everything I say. Go ahead and google it if you want, it's there.

Moving on.

So what exactly do I mean when I say I'm going to the evolution of this industry? Again put simply, it means I'm going to try and combine the rambling train of thought that I've had running about such for years now into some sort of coherent narrative for people to follow. A difficult task as there is going to be no clear delineation between subjects. Everything in our universe is connected, and such is the case for any subject. So while I'll try to keep this easy to follow, please bear with me if I seem to veer off course every once in a while.

So, with caveats and pre-emptives out of the way in this first introductory blog post, I hope you enjoy reading. My name is not, by the way, Marcus Nispell. But it seemed like a name that would stand out, and so that is what the blog is entitled.